About Us:Uganda National Association of the Blind is an umbrella Association of the Blind and Visually Impaired persons in Uganda. The association was started fifty years ago and it operates countrywide. Currently it has 96 Branches and has its own offices on plot 694 Kamuli Zone A on Namugongo Road. The association is registered both as an NGO and a company without shares.Job Summary: Unab is seeking to recruit an Accountant to work on voluntary basis under the leadership of the Executive Director, the Accountant is responsible for providing technical expertise and supporting the financial operations of Uganda National Association of the Blind and ensures timely and accurate financial reports and practices including review of cash management, financial disbursements, ledgers and ensuring high levels of compliance for both internal policies and statutory requirements.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Financial Systems and Financial reporting
• Ensure that the Quick Books Accounting System is accurately and timely updated with all the financial transactions
• Prepare monthly reconciliations of debtors, creditors, bank accounts, cash accounts and other balance sheet accounts to identify differences and discrepancies in the accounts and prepare adjusting journals to make the relevant corrections.
• Ensure preparation and timely submission of monthly funds requests for the UNAB’s programs and projects from the funding sources to ensure there’s sufficient liquidity at all times
• Manage and maintain the capitalized DAU fixed asset (FA) schedule tracking acquisitions, disposals and write offs and compute monthly depreciation charges.
Accurately review the payroll ensuring that staff salaries and related statutory deductions are made and paid in a timely manner.
• Prepare and share monthly financial reports with the program team
• Maintain an up to date reporting matrix and ensure that the quarterly and annual reports are submitted to the donors in a timely manner
• Participate in periodic program review meetings
Budgeting and Forecasting
• Provide technical support and guidance during preparation of the annual budgets and mid-year re-forecasts
• Ensure approved and operational budgets are uploaded into the system in a timely manner and perform quarterly revisions on the operational budget as required
• Participate in the preparation of donor proposal budgets
• Liaising with department heads to ensure that monthly cash request is submitted in the timely manner
General compliance and risk management
• Monitor staff advance balances and ensure these are always maintained as current, and cleared on time as per the finance policy
• Conduct regular field visits and keep the Executive Director informed of all situations which have the potential to negatively impact internal controls or financial performance.
• Support in implementation of internal controls of the organization as per policies in place.
• Coordinate in close contact with the Internal Audit team to ensure that the external statutory and donor audits of different donors are undertaken and that any issues in the management letter are followed up and resolved/implemented.
• Advise both finance and non-finance staff over matters of internal control compliance, periodically review the suitability of the existing controls to ensure they are adequate enough to minimize the risk exposure of donors’ but that they reinforce the proper implementation of programs. Recommend to management any controls that may be necessary to close any foreseen risks.
• Prepare statutory deductions (PAYE, NSSF) payments and submit statutory returns to the relevant authorities within the stipulated timelines.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must hold a Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance.
Any Partial or professional qualification in the relevant field will be an added advantage. A minimum of 2 years of working experience in the accounting/finance department of a similar NGO.
- Experience in financial management, finance policy implementation, budget monitoring and financial reporting for donor grants
- Familiarity with Quick Books accounting system will be an added advantage.
- Good analytical skills and ability to present and report findings verbally and in writing
How to Apply:
Please apply online by submitting the following information:
a) Application letter;
c) one-page motivation letter to Chairman Human Resource Committee Email-unabonlineug.@gmail.com
Hand deliver to Uganda National Association of the Blind on Namugongo Road.
Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.